Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
deliverIT CT Guidelines
- deliverIT is provided by the Connecticut State Library, but it requires the shared efforts of the Connecticut State Library and all libraries that receive delivery to maintain a successful service.
- Service is to the principal public libraries, academic libraries and to other institutions and agencies which have been approved by the Director of the Division of Library Development. See "Route Schedule" tab above for more information.
- Service is not time sensitive, nor is it subject to a set schedule, libraries can expect service anytime during the State Libraries normal operating hours between 6a.m. and 3p.m.
- Libraries must designate a deliverIT CT pickup point in their facility. This point must be convenient for the driver, off the ground, and hand truck-accessible. All designated pickup points are subject to approval by the deliverIT CT Supervisor. As a result of COVID-19 and in response to social distancing and other safety measures deliverIT CT has been transitioned to a contactless service and will remain as such going forward. Libraries have been given the option of State Library supplied outdoor storage bins or providing drivers with key/code access, or other arrangements approved by the Director, Division of Library Development and the deliverIT CT Supervisor of Transportation. The State Library has been using bin, key and code access for many years.
- Bins will be supplied by the State Library to the service libraries based on each library's average daily requirements and the availability of containers. If a library has extra bins, let the driver know so that they can take them to be reassigned to another library.
- Bins supplied by the State Library are property of the State of Connecticut and are to be used only for deliverIT CT purposes.
- In the event that a service library has a larger-than-normal load which exceeds its supply of CSL- furnished sort bins, the service library will be responsible for providing the extra boxes or bags needed to accommodate the overload.
- Materials transported by deliverIT CT are limited to the following without exception:
- borrowIT (formerly Connecticard) materials in all formats
- Library materials for state agencies distributed through the State Library with prior approval from the Director of the Division of Library Development
- Interlibrary loan materials
- Connecticut State Library materials
- Materials not accepted for transport on the delivery service include the following:
- Oversized or heavy packages
- Packages or bins weighing more than 40lbs.
- Fragile/breakable items
- Rare or irreplaceable items
- Equipment or office furniture
- Office supplies
- Donations or giveaways
- Public relations material from other organizations without prior approval from the Director of the Division of Library Development
- Items, packages, or bags of items must have a visible, legible routing slip. Items, packages, or bags of items without a routing slip are not acceptable and will not be transported.
- Routing slips are available. (See the "Routing Slips" tab above for more information.)
Holidays and Service Interruptions
- deliverIT follows the same holiday schedule as the State of Connecticut. There will be no delivery on the following Connecticut state holidays:
- New Years Day
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Lincoln's Birthday
- Washington's Birthday
- Good Friday
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Columbus Day
- Veterans Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
- There is no guarantee of a specific time for delivery to a library. Due to the complexity of delivery routes, timing of delivery cannot be easily adjusted.
- This is a statewide service and individual routes may be impacted by weather, road conditions, traffic, delivery volume, or vehicle trouble.
- Weather conditions vary across the state and bad weather in one area can have an impact on the entire system.
- If your library closes due to weather, report it using the online Contact form. (See "Contact Us" tab above for contact information.)
- In the event of a library closing, such as for a renovation, the library should contact the Connecticut State Library in advance of the closure so that the delivery service can make necessary arrangements. (See "Contact Us" tab above for contact information.)
- In the event of an anticipated change in volume of material for delivery, the library should contact the Director of the Division of Library Development well in advance of the change and outline the potential impact on the delivery system. An anticipated change in delivery volume can be caused by events such as a library joining a network, a library leaving a network, a network changing their ILS loan parameters or changing their ILS, etc. [See the “Contact Us” tab for contact information.]
Lost or Damaged Material
- Delivery is an undocumented and uninsured service and there is no tracking of individual items.
- Lost items or items damaged in transit are not covered by insurance, except in the case of loss or damage covered by accident liability insurance.
- Neither deliverIT nor the Connecticut State Library will reimburse libraries for lost items.
- The State Library maintains an e-mail list to improve communication to libraries about the delivery service. All public and academic libraries should have at least one staff person subscribe to the listserv. If a deliverIT CT route will not be running on a particular day, a message will be sent to the list. (See the "E-mail list" tab above for more information.)
- If your library does not receive delivery as scheduled you should contact Walt Magnavice, deliverIT CT Supervisor. (See "Contact Us" tab above for contact information.)
- All other questions about deliverIT CT service should be directed to the deliverIT CT Supervisor or to the Director of the Division of Library Development at the Connecticut State Library. (See "Contact Us" tab above for contact information.)
Last Updated: April 2020 (holiday dates updated); March 2017
What is deliverIT CT?
deliverIT CT (formerly Connecticar or Ccar) is Connecticut's statewide library delivery service. deliverIT CT transports about 1.5 million library items per year to 215 public and academic libraries in the state.
deliverIT CT is funded by the State of Connecticut and the Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered by the Connecticut State Library.
Page Provided by DLD
This page is maintained by staff from the
Connecticut State Library | Division of Library Development | Contact Us
Connecticut State Library | 231 Capitol Avenue, Hartford, CT 06106 | 860-757-6500 * Toll-free 866-886-4478