This guide will walk you through downloading and opening the module on smart phones, tablets, and personal computers.
The module is in the EPUB format. This is the publishing industry standard for digital books. If you read on Kindle or other popular platforms, you are already using it. We chose EPUB as the format for this module for two reasons. First, it is the most accessible digital book format. Second, reading it will give you practice in using accessible EPUB apps.
You can think of an EPUB as a self-contained zipped-up mini-website containing a book arranged as a series of web pages. To read an EPUB e-book, you need a reading system or an EPUB reader to extract these files and present them in a user-friendly way. Some hardware platforms come with a built-in reading system, such as Apple Books for Mac and iPhone, but others may require you to download and install one.
Thorium Reader for Mac provides better accessibility than Apple Books. Dolphin EasyReader provides better accessibility on iPhones and Android devices. PCs do not come with an EPUB reader, but they support both Dolphin EasyReader and Thorium Reader.
Install your reading system before downloading the EPUB Training module, so after you download the file, you can open it in your reading system of choice.
Click the option below for the device you use.
1. IPhones and iPads come with Apple Books as their default EPUB reader. It works if you do not have a reading disability. Dolphin EasyReader provides more accessibility features. To install it, follow this link.
2. Use this link to our Training Module (EPUB). It will open your browser and may prompt you to download the file, or it may automatically download it.
3. If it automatically downloads the file, you may see one of these two options, depending on your browser.
4. If you see only a blue down arrow at the bottom of the screen, click on it to bring up the next prompt.
5. Click the Downloads option to bring up this list.
6. Click on the file Accessibility Training Module for Librarians. This should open the EPUB up in your preferred reading system, such as Apple Books or EasyReader. If it does not, or if your original download had the option to "Open in," then the following list of options may appear, and you can choose your reading system.
7. If you do not see your reading app listed, click on the “More…” option to search your iPhone for the app you want.
8. Tapping on the app you want to use will import the training module into its library and open it for you.
When you click the Open file link, you will see a list of compatible reading systems and EPUB editors that have been installed on your PC.
Choose Thorium Reader or Dolphin EasyReader to add the module to its library and open it.
Use the right and left arrow keys to navigate the book.
In Thorium Reader, click on the open book icon in the top right corner of the app to see options such as viewing the table of contents or using bookmarks.
After you install Thorium, use this link to our Training Module (EPUB) to open your default browser and automatically download the file "Accessibility_Tutorial_For_Librarians.EPUB" to your downloads folder.
Open Finder and select your Downloads folder.
Right click on the file “Accessibility_Tutorial_For_Librarians.EPUB.” This will open the context menu. Select “Open With” either Books.app or Thorium.app.
Use the right and left arrow keys to navigate the pages of the book.
If you want to jump to a specific chapter in the book, move your cursor to the top left and click on the bulleted list icon, as shown in the figure. This will open the table of contents.
Dolphin EasyReader is available for PC, Mac, Android and iOS.
EasyReader by Dolphin Computer Access, Ltd., is an easy-to-use, free, accessible reading app for people with print disabilities, including dyslexia, low vision, and blindness.
With Dolphin EasyReader, you can:
To use EasyReader, you must sign in or create a Dolphin account. If you have a Google or Apple account, you can sign in with it, and you do not need a separate Dolphin account. See below for details.
To create a Dolphin account:
If you have an Apple or Google account, you can use it with Dolphin. You do not need to create a separate Dolphin account.
To log in using your Apple or Google account:
Books you have downloaded in EasyReader are available from the My Books page.
To read a book:
Select a book from the My Books page.
You can navigate books by heading or chapter, by page number, or by bookmark. It depends on how the book is structured. The default navigation is by heading. The book navigation button is in the bottom left corner of the screen near the Play/Pause button.
To navigate through the book:
Thorium Reader is a free EPUB reader for Windows 10 and MacOS.
Here are the links for PC and Mac
Follow the Windows 10 link to this page.
1. Click “Get in Store app”
2. A pop-up window for Thorium Reader will appear. Click on the blue “Get” button.
3. After the file downloads, Thorium will be installed on your computer. If you want to use it now, click on the blue Open button. If not, close it.
Drag the Thorium.app into the Applications folder
You can open the app from the Applications folder or by using Launchpad.
To add an EPUB to your Thorium library you right click it and choose “Open with Thorium.app.” Another way is to locate the EPUB on your computer by using the + icon as shown in this figure.
Connecticut State Library | 231 Capitol Avenue, Hartford, CT 06106 | 860-757-6500 * Toll-free 866-886-4478
The State of Connecticut is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.